Monday, January 31, 2011

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder



I met Richard in early 2008. We had both recently ended previous long term relationships with other people and my best friend was currently dating his friend, so they decided to try to hook us up. In fact, without my permission my friend gave Richard my phone number. When she told me I was peeved! (Now I am incredibly grateful that she did!)
Anyway, so Richard and I began text messaging each other and talking on the phone. We had an immediate connection. After that I found him on MySpace and was happy to find that I was also physically attracted to him. (He was super hot ;])
Not long after that we decided to meet in my hometown. I was so nervous so I made sure that our friends were there. I will never forget the first time I saw him the butterflies were dancing in my stomach. We were both grinning from ear to ear as we hugged each other. (I remember thinking he is even hotter in person! =P)
After that we continued to talk on the phone a lot and he came to see me a couple times but unfortunately things ended quickly and we both went back to our exes. For a while after the break up I was pretty upset because I knew there was something special between us, not to mention the break up was a little ugly.
Even though we never talked I still thought of Richard a lot. Right after we started dating he had told me he would be deploying to Iraq in May so I often would wonder how he was doing over there and if he ever thought of me. Then one day in June I received an email from him asking me how I was. The truth was my life had changed tremendously since our break up. I had started college and my boyfriend at the time and I were expecting a baby in December. Richard and I emailed back and forth and caught each other up on things and then once again we stopped talking for a while.
One night in mid-October I had a dream about Richard and then couldn’t stop thinking about him the next day. For some reason I had this strange feeling that he was home and I had a strong urge to text him…so I did. I guess it was my strong woman’s intuition but sure enough he text me back and said “Ashley I just stepped off of the plane how did you know that?” Once again I was reminded of the strangely strong connection we had. We exchanged a few texts and he asked if he could see me but I turned him down because I looked awful at eight months pregnant and I knew my boyfriend would have a fit. (Now I wish I would’ve at least had lunch with him or something)
Months went by before we communicated again. I gave birth to my son on the sixth of December and after that I spent most of my time focusing on him and my schoolwork. Richard emailed me that month and I kind of blew him off. (I wish I hadn’t).
Then in February I decided to try to email him in hopes that he wasn’t too angry with me. Much to my surprise he replied the very same day. Little did I know that was the start of Ashley & Richard take 2! They say distance makes the heart grow fonder and boy is that true! We began emailing each other back and forth a couple times a day and talking on the phone as much as possible. I had turned into the typical military girlfriend almost overnight. I started leaving my email up on my laptop all day, sleeping with my phone on my pillow, and I even signed up to receive text alerts when he made Facebook posts. I was smiling so much during the day that my cheeks would ache at night. There was no doubt about it…I had fallen in love. His phone calls were the highlight of my day and missing them or not getting one at all was devastating. I started counting down the days until we would be together again and before I knew it we were making plans to get married!
August 10th 2009 was the day my heart became whole again. I will never forget that day. Seeing him and being able to touch him and kiss his soft lips again was the most incredible feeling! I was also floored by the fact that he took to my son instantly as if he were his own. We were finally a family!
Later that month, my prince charming proposed to me at the top of a lighthouse in Ponce Inlet, FL while we were visiting his family. My breath was taken away as he got down on one knee and showed me the gorgeous ring he had chosen for me. I was so excited I yelled “Yes!” before he could even finish what he had planned to say. We stayed up there for awhile just reveling in the moment and looking out over the ocean. It was so romantic!
From that day on it was nothing but planning, planning, and more planning for our wedding that was to take place less than two months later! The planning was crazy and stressful but also fun. I couldn’t believe the day I had dreamed of since I was a little girl was right around the corner!
Then on October 10th my great-grandfather (the only “dad” I’ve ever known, R.I.P.) walked me down the aisle and gave me away to the man of my dreams. It was more wonderful than I could’ve ever imagined!
************************************************
I am extremely proud to be an Army wife and I enjoy the military way of life. No matter what happens I will always stand by my soldier. I will support him in all that he does and it doesn’t matter where he goes or how long he is there I will always be patiently (ok maybe not patiently), and lovingly awaiting his return. It takes a lot of guts to join the military and because of that I admire and respect my husband immensely. Being married to a soldier may not be easy but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world! I love being Mrs. Holley! Hooah!

No comments:

Post a Comment